Deer Creek Site (34KA3)
The Deer Creek site (34KA3) is one of the most significant archaeological sites in the southern Plains. Deer Creek is located on Kaw Lake just east of Newkirk, Oklahoma.
Two Wichita bands built and inhabited this village site along with its sister village, the Bryson-Paddock site (34KA5), located 1.5 miles to the north, between AD 1700 and 1755. The site is highly significant because it has much to tell us of the intensive Wichita-French trade in the 18th century, why and how villages were fortified, and how Native peoples responded to profound social, economic, political, and religious change following European colonization.
Although the site was known to professional and avocational archaeologists for decades, it wasn’t excavated until 2016. These excavations were made possible by a collaboration between the Tulsa District Army Corps of Engineers, the Wichita and Affiliated tribes, the Oklahoma Archaeological Survey, Oklahoma Anthropological Society, University of Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State.
You can watch a video over our work with the Corps here.
This work yielded new data on the fortification ditch that encircled the village and internal village features like trash mounds. Work at the site will continue in June 2017 with the OU Archaeological Field School.